Slim down with these 5 high-protein, low-carb recipes!
1. Shrimp, Avocado, and Egg Salad
- 1/4 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp. fresh lime juice
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 12 oz. large peeled and deveined shrimp
- Kosher salt and pepper
- 1 c. grape tomatoes, halved
- 8 c. butter lettuce
- 1/2 c. fresh cilantro leaves
- 1/2 avocado, diced
- 2 hard boiled eggs, cut into pieces
In a large bowl, toss onion with lime juice and ½ tablespoon oil and let sit for 5 minutes.
Heat 1/2 tablespoon oil in a large skillet on medium high. Season shrimp with 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper and cook until opaque throughout, 2 to 3 minutes per side.
Toss tomatoes with onions, then toss with lettuce and cilantro. Divide among bowls and top with shrimp, avocado and egg.
2. Chicken Breasts with Mushroom Cream Sauce
- 4 boneless and skinless chicken breasts
- 2 cups baby mushrooms sliced
- 1/2 cup onions diced
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 3/4 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons thyme leaves fresh, chopped
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
Using a meat tenderizer, pound the chicken breasts to an even thickness.
Salt and pepper both sites of each chicken breast.
Place a sauté pan with one tablespoon of the olive oil over medium heat. Make sure the bottom of the whole pan is coated with the olive oil. Add the chicken breasts. Cook for 1 minute until golden on the bottom. Turn the breasts over and reduce heat to low.
Cover the pan with a tight-fitting lid. Cook for 10 minutes (check time). Do not remove the lid while cooking. After 10 minutes, remove the pan from the heat, still covered, and allow to sit for 10 additional minutes.
Make sure there is no pink in the middle of the breasts or that a meat thermometer reads 165 degrees F when inserted in the center. Remove chicken from the pan and set aside, covered to stay warm. Add one tablespoon olive oil and the mushrooms and onions to the pan and increase heat to medium.
Allow mushrooms and onions to cook 5 to 8 minutes until the water releases from the mushrooms and evaporates. Whisk in two tablespoons flour and allow to cook for about 1 to 2 minutes, until fragrant.
Add in the garlic and cook for an additional 30 seconds. Add a 1/4 cup of milk, thyme, salt, and pepper. Whisk until thickened. Add another 1/4 of a cup and whisk until thickened. Repeat until all of the sauce has thickened.
Place chicken on serving plate. Pour sauce over the chicken and serve.
3. Italian Sausage and Pepper Bake
- 4 sweet or hot Italian turkey sausages, cut into 1 1/2-in. pieces
- 2 peppers, halved, seeded, and thickly sliced
- 1 pt. cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 medium yellow onion, cut into 1-in. wedges
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- Kosher salt and pepper
Heat oven to 400°F. On a large rimmed baking sheet, toss peppers, tomatoes, onion, and garlic with oil, oregano, 1⁄4 tsp salt, and 1⁄2 tsp pepper, then toss with sausages.
Roast until sausages are cooked through and beginning to blister and vegetables are golden brown and tender, 15 to 20 minutes.
4. Turkey Taco Lettuce Wraps
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 3 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes halved (half-pint)
- 1 avocado pitted, peeled and diced
- 1 cup salsa no sugar added
- 12 whole romaine heart lettuce leaves
Add ground turkey to a skillet. Cook over medium heat for 8 minutes until browned. Add 1/3 cup water, taco seasoning, and salt (if not already an ingredient in the seasoning). Allow to cook for 3 minutes more. Remove from heat.
Double each lettuce leaf so the top fits into the second and you have 6 doubled leaves altogether. Spoon in the meat mixture. Add cherry tomatoes and avocado pieces. Top each with salsa.
Serve and enjoy!
5. Salmon Salad with Avocado and Sweet Grape Tomatoes
- 4 (4-ounce) pieces Wild Alaskan salmon fillet
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- 2 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 1 pt. grape tomatoes, halved
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 c. almond slivers, toasted
- 5 oz. mixed baby greens
- 1 avocado, sliced
Heat oven to 375°F. Season salmon with ½ teaspoon each salt and pepper, place on a rimmed baking sheet and roast until opaque throughout, 10 to 12 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk together vinegar, oil and pinch each salt and pepper. Add tomatoes and toss to combine. Fold in scallions and almonds and toss with greens and then avocado. Serve with salmon.